Hi, I’m Kyle and I can do lots of things…
What I am:
- An internet of things fan - I get a kick out of connecting things and seeing data transverse from the physical, to data payload, to usable information.
- A industrial plant commissioner - I have all the right experience to work with the control system and the right technical people to get stuff working.
- A designer - I can take an idea and complete it from design to implementation.
- A builder - I like to get my hands dirty, build something, wire something, program something.
- Thorough - I like it done right, whether its software or hardware, it will work and if it can be improved, it will.
- Jack of all - I like to learn, I don’t like to not be able to do something.
- A rev head - Lifes too short to drive boring cars.
What I’m not:
- A software developer - I can write code in many languages to achieve many things, it will work but it may not be perfectly optimised.
- A workaholic - I’m serious about the work I do but I’m also serious about my family.
- A desk jockey - A lot of the work I do is at a desk in front of a computer, I’m good at it but I like to get amongst it too.
- An analyst - I get a kick out of collecting data and making it accessible, I don’t confess to being the expert in analysing the data.
IOT / Software Engineer Experience
I’ve done lots with these, not an expert but I can get stuff done.
- Docker, docker-compose, docker-machine
- Ubuntu as an application server
- Cloud application deployments (preference to DigitalOcean)
- MQTT, AMQP
- Serial comms
- Network configuration
- InfluxDB time series database
- Grafana visualisation
- SSH, NTP and other applicable services
I’ve worked in and around industrial site for most of my career.
- Ex Foxboro DCS service engineer
- Ex Foxboro / Invensys technical sales
- Extensive commissioning experience in mining, water and power industries.
- Ability to adapt to most PLC / HMI / DCS platforms.
- Electrical and Instrumentation knowledge and experience to communicate effectively with site teams.
- Safety - In an industrial environment workplace safety is particularly important, from risk review to working safely I have an excellent track record.
- Electrical Drafting & Design - have designed and drafted a myriad of electrical installations from schematics to general arrangement drawings.
- Trade skills - I can do most things and if I can’t I know someone who can.
- IT stuff - Comes with the territory in most of the things above, Mac, Windows, Linux, is all good to me.